Imperius: Shoulder Guards

Ahhh Imperius, you wide bastard. These bad boys were fun to make, and where my first foray into making an actual silicone mold. Without further ado!

shouldercheck

Using the models I ripped from D3, I made a properly sized template out of pep for the base, and after transferring it to plastic and a lot of heat shaping (of which there are no pictures), I made these!

DCIM0320 (Medium) DCIM0318 (Medium)

God these were ugly and unwieldy, and cleaning them up was a nightmare because of the low res of the model and the thickness of the PVC (3mm). I decided to focus all my energy on making one shoulder to mold instead of all 4 big chunks.

IMG_0361 (Medium)

I started by patterning out the detailing on each side, and cutting it out of 2mm PVC. This was a mostly trial and error process involving a lot of cursing and measuring.

 IMG_20130305_180817 (Medium)IMG_20130305_180833 (Medium)

After this, I added the outer trim detailing, and built up the top using Apoxie Sculpt. Lots of sanding here, as usual. LEARN TO LOVE THE SANDING.

CIMG0675 (Medium) CIMG0674 (Medium)

To finish it off, I used another piece of 3mm PVC and sanded it into the curvy beveled shape in the cross bit. For some reason I do not have pictures of this hand sanding process, but it was all done with the random orbit sander. After this, it was finish sanding and.. mold making!

882593_411549695607570_959934883_o

Sloppy first run, this whole thing ended up being garbage and I had to redo it. Valuable lessoned learned, namely take your time, and FILL ALL YOUR SEAMS. After another try, my one peice mold was complete.. and it was time to start casting. Because I am still poor, this was a 1 part mold when it likely should have been something else. I had to slush cast it of sorts, and each cast took about 40 minutes to make.. but in the end..

461249_428647573897782_1153436333_o

Victory.

914128_432250290204177_1610914071_o

Using the cool ideas of Henrik Pilerude, I made ball joint mounts for the shoulders to set into, a quick and dirty collar section for the shoulders, mounted it all together and wala. I also made the 3rd inner piece out of the base frome earlier and some pvc/apoxie sculpt for the detailing, then made vac pulls of it to use for both sides. I dont have many pictures from this period as it is around the time I got promoted and the hours started taking their toll on me, sorry. I will probably expand on the shoulder mounts later.

 472434_432325313530008_1609786586_o913995_432325316863341_982957098_o

Behold, this nerd! Next up, the Bracers!

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s